image1 image2 image3

EXPERIENCE THE MOMENT FIRST HAND |BLAZE ALONG YOUR DREAMS|WITH THE HOTTEST IN ENTERTAINMENT|FARRINHEIT 411

Dr. LaConyea Butler: Esteemed Spelman College Professor's Legacy Lives On

On August 20, 2015, we lost an esteemed student, alumna, administrator, and faculty member at Spelman College: Dr. LaConyea Butler. She dedicated 55 years to Spelman and to the National Alumnae Association of Spelman College, where she donated funds for future Spelman women. For that we give our thanks. To further show our respect, on August 21, 2015, Spelman put the flag at half-mast to celebrate her life.

Dr. Butler lived an extraordinary life. She would become the first Spelhouse baby in her family when she graduated in 1956. Her life existed due to the union between her mother, Ruby Louise Brown Butler, and her father, Daniel Butler, both of whom graduated in 1930. During her matriculation at Spelman College Dr. Butler remained active on campus. She participated in organizations like Granddaughters Club and an array of music ensembles including the Spelman College Glee Club. After obtaining her Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology she went on to receive her Master's from Boston University and then her PhD at Atlanta University now known as Clark Atlanta University. However, Dr. Butler could not stay away from Spelman. She became a Psychology professor with the request of a former professor and mentor, Dr. O.W. Eagleson. Retiring in 2014, Dr. Butler was quoted, “It was a wonderful experience to return to my alma mater and to the Spelman family…” in a featured recap on Spelman’s site called “Four Faculty Members Get Ready for Their Encore.”

It was a wonderful experience for me as well. I did not know Dr. Butler as a professor personally, but I heard she was a great one. I knew Dr. Butler from the Student Success Center formally known as the Office of Assessment of Student Learning and Development. I was the office assistant there for two years while she was the director. Dr. Butler’s presence was one that did not go unnoticed in the office. Every morning that she walked in, she made sure to speak to everyone as she made her way to her back corner office.

After settling in, I would always make sure I tapped on her door to see what errands she had in store for me. Being such an independent person, she never really asked me or anyone for much, but she constantly gave. In a thank-you card one year I made sure to point this out to her and to assure her that this is what I was there for, to help make her day simpler. She just laughed the following day when she saw me. She still never asked for much in the following years after. In fact, around Christmas time the next year she presented all the students who worked in the office with Coach items; I received a red Coach wallet. She even bought me lunch one time while I was running errands for her. I could never pay her back. Not even the miniature surprise party that the office threw on her birthday, where we sat around the table eating cake and ice cream and listening to tales of the good ole days, could be payment enough.

Her warmth was one of the reasons that I accepted the center as my second family. I know that if her “give, but don’t take” attitude was given to me, it was surely extended to her students. So it is with great honor that we send our own warmth and condolences to her family on this occasion. Dr. Butler, you lived an inspirational life and you will be missed.

(Photo: NAASC Newsletter)


K.T.Harbert💋

Share this:

CONVERSATION