image1 image2 image3

EXPERIENCE THE MOMENT FIRST HAND |BLAZE ALONG YOUR DREAMS|WITH THE HOTTEST IN ENTERTAINMENT|FARRINHEIT 411

Terrence J Gives $100,000 to Alma Mater North Carolina A&T

TerrenceJ_A&TCheck

Terrence Jenkins, better known as a Terrence J has been on the come up since his early television days hosting "106 & Park." Current E! News correspondent always recalls his humble beginnings before hosting some of televisions hottest shows, acting in #1 box office movies, writing a book or before appearing in Sean John ad campaign. Terrence J owes much of his success to not only his faith, hard work and his mother, but his college education from North Carolina A&T University. 

Terrence J became a member of Omgea Psi Phi Fraternity Inc. and received his Bachelor's degree from the university, class of 2004. Recently celebrating his 33rd birthday, TJ saw it fit to pay it forward to the place he says accepted him when no one else did. He paid a visit to his Alma Mater speaking to students and announcing his $100,000 donation to the Mass Communication and Media department. Millions have watched Terrence J go from silly, corny young man, to a grown (and sexy) sophisticated man (still silly). Those that have met him or know him best says he is super humble and great person to be around. Historically Black Colleges & Universities (HBCUs) are at the core of producing great black leaders no matter if its corporate life or on television. Terrence J currently participates with a White House committee, seeking to bring more attention and support to HBCUs around the country. We love seeing stories like this this! 

Terrence J took to his Instagram to speak on what donating money to A&T meant to him:
Last Tuesday I turned 33. I've been reflecting... My mom was pregnant with me at 17 in Jamaica, Queens during the height of the crack epidemic. I've never met my biological father. No siblings. My mother sacrificed everything - including going to college herself - to make a life for me. Attending college was a big deal for her. I was reluctant. I hated high school and was not the best student academically. I was rough around the edges, awkward and skinny with a big Afro. I had an attitude problem, a problem w/ authority, struggled to fit in, and did many things I'm not so proud of. My heart bleeds every time I see a young man lose his life - I know the realities of his struggles and realize that could've been me.
To please my moms, I applied to several schools. I received at least 10 NO's. But it only took 1 YES. North Carolina A&T State University accepted me. A historically black college in Greensboro, NC. They gave me a shot and took risk on a kid many perceived as a "troublemaker". The next four years were transformative. I found an environment that molded me. professors that inspired me. Friends that motivated me. Women that pushed me. I found family.
My first semester I was on academic probation and almost had to drop out. By the time I graduated I had a 3.6 GPA, was student body president, and a member of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity. Everything I've accomplished since is b/c of the many people that have invested in me. It would be impossible to repay them, but I can pay it forward.
I recently announced a $100K endowment to NCA&T. The funds are dedicated to the same University that took a chance on me.
This is step 1 in doing more, not just at my school but for communities around the country where young people feel forgotten and unheard. I don't have all the answers - FAR from it. But my goal is to inspire others to give back - in any way - just as I've been inspired to do the same.
When I was 17 the world felt cold and lonely. But I didn't need handcuffs - I needed a hand. Thanks to all that have helped me on my path. And to all of the young people on theirs - don't follow your dreams, chase them. T | #MBK
(Photo: Instagram)

Share this:

CONVERSATION